The School and Teacher’s House were erected in 1871 by Sir William Bagge, Bart. In 1871 the Education Act was passed, making schooling compulsory, but not free! Children were expected to pay a penny a day towards their education. To us this is a meagre sum, but for many labourers and unskilled workers (or those with numerous progeny), a considerably percentage of their income.
Adjacent to the school itself, stands a house. This was built to house the teacher of the village school (and continued as such until the 1960s). Later it was used for storage. Now, it is once again used as a home.
Originally the school has no access to running water, so the resident of what is now Ruby Cottage (previously a row of three small cottages, now two) would fill a bucket from their well, so that the school children (and teachers) could drink or wash. The toilets were outside, at the back of the school building.
A former pupil of the school recalls that when there was a funeral taking place at the church, pupils and teachers lined up in the playground (heads bowed) to pay their respects as the funeral procession travelled past.
Across the road from the school stood the school playing field. When the school was closed, this site was intended for sale, however following a fierce village campaign, the field was saved, and is now maintained by the playing field committee as an amenity for the children of the village.
Although the school was not built until 1871, there is a reference to school rooms in Crimplesham as far back as 1854 (in the diary of Elizabeth Doyle) and references in the 1861 census to School Lane. Local knowledge of any previous school appears, unfortunately, to have died out.
Numbers at the school appear to have varied greatly, in general being between thirty and forty. World War Two saw a peak, helped by the influx of evacuees, with numbers being sixty to seventy. After this however, numbers declined, in the early 1980s numbers were in the low twenties.
Despite opposition and protests from the community, in July 1984 Crimplesham School, which had by that point been in use for 113 years, closed its doors for the final time. The end of an historic era was marked with a reunion of pupils and staff, and a sports and entertainments programme. Former pupils who attended included: Sir John Bagge, chairman of the school managers, whose great-grandfather built the school, and his grandfather extended it; along with pupils from as far back as the beginning of the twentieth century. One former pupil brought with him his ‘Good Attendance’ medals from 1910 and 1911; another reminisced about the long walk to school from Stradsett, and how he had always hoped to encounter a pong and cart which would give him a lift! In all over one hundred and fifty pupils (past and present) attended the reunion.
To mark the occasion commemorative mugs were presented to the pupils. The mugs were made by Mr Tom Shortland, who lives in the former “Nags Head” near the village green. The picture of the school on the mug, was drawn by his daughter. The old school building is now a Jehovah Witness Hall.